Shelves are a very practical, elegant, and useful solution for storing different objects inside your home, from books and small statues to mugs and flower pots. However, installing them is not everyone’s cup of tea since some of us are born to be handy, while others are simply too clumsy to do it. The good news is that we talked to a local handyman, who guided us through an easy-to-follow 6 step installation process. Here is his take below, together with the tools you have to use:
Tools & materials you need
Countersunk timber screws, drill bits, wall anchors, chipboard screws, 90-degree brackets, plywood, spray paint, cordless drill, dust mask, ear muffs, measuring tape, head screwdriver, spirit level, stud finder
Shelf installation steps
- Find the studs in the wall. First of all, you have to find the studs in the wall, so you can drill straight into them, says the local handyman. Locate them using a stud finder and mark their position on the wall;
- Mark the place of the shelf. Hold the shelf where you want to position it and mark its height with a pencil. This is the place where you will screw in your brackets. To make sure that everything is straight, you should use a spirit level, advises the local handyman;
- Mark the screw points. Then, position the shelf brackets against the wall and mark the places of the screws. Get the power drill and drill straight into the wall stud located at point 1. If there’s no wall stud or you can’t find it, grab a wall mate (a self-drilling plasterboard screw) and pop it into the plaster. This will protect the wall while allowing you to screw the bracket to the wall;
- Screw the bracket in. The next step consists of screwing the bracket in. The first one is going directly into the wall, but the second one will be screwed into the plaster, using the wall mates drilled through the pilot holes. Once they’re in, grab the bracket and drill directly into the wall mate. Don’t forget to wear safety glasses, the local handyman reminds you;
- Hang and secure the shelf. After the mounting brackets are secured into the wall, grab the shelf itself, making sure it’s central to the brackets. Then, secure the screws into the wood, from the bottom of the brackets to the top;
- Admire your straight and firm shelf. Now you’re done! It’s time to admire your small work of art and start populating it with your favorite items (however, they should be fairly light).
Local handyman info
The local handyman guiding us through this DIY shelf installation process works with Home & Business Services – HBSOnTime.com, a family-owned local company operating since 2013 in the Greater Fredericksburg Area, VA (Culpeper, Caroline, King George, Louisa, Orange, Spotsylvania, Stafford). Apart from handyman services, they also offer professional cleaning (residential, commercial, air ducts, carpets, windows), home maintenance, and turnkey services.